For those staying in this Halloween, we’ve made things easy for you. Here’s a Netflix guide to what you can watch with the whole family or by yourself under a veil of darkness.
We'll start with recommendations that you can enjoy with the whole family, or if you're faint-hearted and could do without a night of blood and gore.
- Coraline - Coraline opens a door to another universe like her own but better. Or so she thinks.
- Hotel Transylvania & Hotel Transylvania 2 - What happens when a human infiltrates a hotel for monsters owned by Dracula (and flirts with his daughter).
- Monster House - Three friends find out the truth about the abandoned house in their neighbourhood.
- Casper - A girl befriends the ghost haunting her home.
If Halloween means less pumpkin and treats, and more tricks, ghosts, and blood, here are classic and new movies to fill your night with screams.
- Scream - A horror classic about a masked-maniac stalking high school students.
- 1922 - A Stephen King adaptation where a farmer murders his wife and horror ensues.
- The Badadook - The monster under the bed is real, and it's loose in the house.
- Van Helsing - The famed monster slayer Gabriel Van Helsing must, well, slay Count Dracula. But it's never that simple.
- Cabin in the Woods - When an isolated cabin comes with rules, don't break them!
- Carrie - A vulnerable teen develops creepy supernatural powers and her mother is not happy.
- Train to Busan - A father and his daughter are stuck on a train during a zombie apocalypse and must somehow survive.
- Zombieland - A group of survivors during a zombie apocalypse try to make their way to the safe haven - LA.
- The Exorcist - A young girl possessed by the devil and the church sends in their expert.
- Cult of Chucky - The creepy doll from your childhood nightmares is back to terrorize everyone.
- The Grudge - This movie is a cautionary tale for why you shouldn't buy a house if the realtor tells you it's haunted.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Remake of the 1974 film where innocent travellers drive by the wrong house.
- The Ritual - Friends head off on a hiking trip to perform their ritual in a mysterious evil forest.
- Veronica - Veronica and her friends try to summon her father's spirit but they dial the wrong number.
Movies aren't the only ways to enjoy the charm of horror. Check out these binge-worthy shows that'll keep you in the Halloween spirit for the rest of the year and more.
- Stranger Things - For the 2% that haven't seen this show, go watch it. Enough said.
- The Haunting of Hill House - A frightening show about a frighteningly haunted house that forces siblings to face the ghosts of their past, literally.
- The Walking Dead - A police officer wakes up during a zombie apocalypse and tries to navigate the chaos.
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - A darker adaptation of 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch'
- The Returned - In a small town, the dead come back to life and bring along more than a few surprises along with them.
- Devilman Crybaby - Demons have returned to the earth and Akira becomes Devilman to save the world.
- Castlevania - Dracula tries to wipeout humanity while Trevor, our hero, tries to save them.
There's tons to keep you entertained this Halloween, so get comfy, order some pizza and tune in to any of these recommended shows.